On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Eric H. Johnson wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:03:26 -0500
> From: Eric H. Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "'Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)'" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users]  Using hostmot2 for 7i43
>
> Sebastian, et al,
>
> I recently got a 7i43 (7i43-U-4 to be specific) and am getting an error
>
> I load the drivers / firmware as follows:
>
> Loadrt hostmot2 debug_idrom=1 debug_module_descriptors=1
> debug_pin_descriptors=1 debug_modules=1
>
> Loadrt hm2_7i43 config="firmware=hm2/7i43/SVST4_4B.BIT num_stepgens=2
> num_pwmgens=1 num_encoders=0 enable_raw"
>
> The command line error message is:
> insmod: error inserting
> '/usr/realtime-2.6.24-16-rtai/modules/emc2/hm2_7i43.ko': -1 Input/output
> error
>
> I can post the output from dmesg, but I think this is the operative part:
>
> hm2_7i43: /DONE is not low after CPLD reset!
> hm2_7i43: /DONE is not low after CPLD reset!
> hm2/hm2_7i43.0: failed to reset fpga, aborting hm2_register
> hm2_7i43.0: board at (ioaddr=0x0378, ioaddr_hi=0x0778, epp_wide ON) not
> found!
>
> If I understand correctly, the FPGA is loaded via the USB interface. I
> checked the USB and parallel port setup in the BIOS. I did not see anything
> meaningful for the USB ports, but for parallel port mode, it defaults to a
> mode of ECP. I changed it to Bi-directional, but that made no difference.
>
> The BIOS does not show the address of the parallel port, but I assume it is
> at the standard 0x378 address. I have both USB and parallel cables
> connected.
>
> What no doubt stupid thing am I missing.
>
> Regards,
> Eric

Parallel _Downloading_ firmware to the 7I43 requires:

1. Parallel port with _EPP_ interface, V1.7 or V1.9

_Accessing_ HostMot2 via Parallel port requires:

1. Parallel port with _EPP_ interface  V1.9 _only_

2. If you have older bit files, (not november of this year)
    There may be a problem with accessing the card via EPP
    if the 7I43 is USB powered.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)