Sebastian,

Install the parport drivers how? I thought they were disabled in the rtai
kernel so they would not conflict with EMC.

The cable is a factory made cable and rings out.

Regards,
Eric

The error you're getting is indicative of a low-level parallel port
communication error.  You should figure out what address your parport is at;
you can do this by loading the linux parport and parport_pc drivers and
seeing what they say.  Also check your cables.

I know i sound like a broken record regarding EPP cables, but it really is
the problem 99% of the time.