On 10/12/2011 5:10 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> No more checking the forums / docs pages from work for me any more:
>
> "Based on your corporate access policies, this web site (
> http://www.linuxcnc.org/ ) has been blocked because it has been
> determined to be a security threat to your computer or the corporate
> network. This web site has been associated with malware/spyware.
>
> If you have questions, please contact your corporate network
> administrator and provide the codes shown below.

> Notification codes:  (1, MALWARE_GENERAL, BLOCK-MALWARE, , 0x3409b6c0,
> 1318410577.130, QAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAJv8ACP8AAABAAAAAAAAAAA==,
> http://www.linuxcnc.org/) "
Andy et al.:

Google didn't help me identify the software emitting the Notification
Codes you reported. Surprisingly (to me, anyway), Bing did. I believe
you are running headlong into a Cisco IronPort router.

Looking at www.senderbase.org (Cisco's IronPort Security portal), I find
their reputation rating for www.linuxcnc.org is "poor". Why? It doesn't
say, specifically.

Unfortunately, the organizations that provide blacklists share
information with each other so this rating could have resulted from
information that originated almost anywhere. Fer instance, Trend Micro
says the underlying IP 69.163.248.64 for www.linuxcnc.org appears in one
of its databases. Why? It doesn't say. This IP belongs to DreamHost.
Possibly www.linuxcnc.org is getting dinged because of some other
website hosted by DreamHost that shares the same IP.

I think it likely you have zero chance of getting your systems' folk to
poke a hole in their router. From their perspective, there is little
upside if they do it right and potentially a huge downside if they do it
wrong. I'm sure they are content to let it update its blacklist from the
Cisco database regularly without interference.

The response I usually got from our network/system admins whenever I had
this kind of problem was the same as the punchline to the old joke
"doctor, it hurts when I do this"---so don't do it.

I can't say I blame them. I never met one who was adequately resourced
to do the job and the ones that got really good at their job usually got
promoted out of it. They were the lucky ones. In this line of work,
people tend to remember only the bad stuff that happens on your watch.
As my first boss used to say, one "aw shit" erases a hundred "atta boys."

As others have pointed out, there is more than one technology available
to drill through your firewall but I can't really recommend this
approach. To your employer, your behavior becomes indistinguishable from
that of a true blackhat renegade. Besides, if you really did receive a
malware payload this way, you'd never live it down.

Good Luck...

Regards,
Kent