On Monday, January 02, 2012 02:50:10 PM Kent A. Reed did opine:

> On 1/2/2012 2:06 PM, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Monday, January 02, 2012 01:47:39 PM gene heskett did opine:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> With regard to a bad hal file killing the machine, I am now beginning
> >> to lean toward a flaky psu, its not liking 50F ambient temps in the
> >> shop, and has crashed with grand and goriously colored confetti on
> >> the screen within 20 minutes of the last 3, fully powered down
> >> reboots.  gkrellm says the 5 volt line is sagging and I say 4.87
> >> volts once.  That psu is about a year old.  I have a 2 or 3 year old
> >> HiPro that is a tad undersized in this box, still holding its 5 volt
> >> line at 5.05.  But nobody has any more HiPro's. All the rest seem
> >> engineered to sag&  go out of tolerance about 2 weeks after the end
> >> of the warraty, worst offenders are Antec.
> >>
> >> Maybe I'll even buy a whole new box.  If I could find one of those
> >> compact models with a usable parport&  no built in video.
> >>
> >> Is anyone actually selling that intel board that has been discussed
> >> here in a ready to go package?  I'd drop the card for one of those
> >> in a heartbeat.
> >
> > I've found a barebones box with a D525 board in it, for $120, claims
> > to have the lpt on the back panel already.  Needs a couple sticks of
> > ddr2, a smallish sata drive and a dvd reader.
> >
> > <http://www.outletpc.com/rj3658.html>
> >
> > $120 kit
> > $ 29 ram
> > $ 80 500G sata3 drive
> > $ 40 laptop style dvd drive, don't see how desktop would fit
> > $ 24 keyboard/mouse with usb rf dongle
> > _____
> > $293 + whatever
> >
> > Looks like it would be a ready to install 10.04 on.
> >
> > What do the folks here think of this kit?
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Gene:
>
> First thoughts
>
> 1) what motherboard is it, actually? We've been talking mostly about
> Intel motherboards containing Intel Atom D510 and D525 processors. I
> also have an ASUS AT5NM10-I motherboard (with Intel Atom D510 cpu) that
> seems to be comparable to the Intel D510MO motherboard I used to have,
> if perhaps just a tick slower on the latency test (I believe both of
> these boards are now out of production). Don't know about other
> makes/models.

The one I quoted says its a foxconn with the same chipset the real intel
board has.

> 2) why are you willing to trust new power supplies any more than the old
> <grin> They just keep getting more "cost effective."

Tell me about it, these guys are surviving on the replacement market, so
they are carefully engineered to fall over a short time after the warranty
expires, and of course the warranty is subject to all sorts of fine print
provisions so they can wiggle out of it.  I would just get in the truck &
run up to staples and get another, except the only thing on the shelf is 3x
what I need, and says Antec on it, sure fire indication of the crappiest
PSU around.

> 3) why do you need the dvd drive? Seems irrelevant in a machine
> controller.

To install from the cd/dvd.  Than it can go away, but first the bios must
be able to boot from a usb drive, none of mine are capable, hence the
requirement for internal sata dvd's in this box, & internal pata drives in
the other 3 around here.  To say my hardware is getting ancient is a given,
but then so am I.  :)

> 4) how much RAM are you talking about? I wouldn't settle for less than
> 1GB.

Neither will I, but since 500Megs has dropped off the radar, its now 1Gb
minimum, and 2 of them because that sets up the crossfire access making the
box 2x faster, so today, 2Gb is minimum.

> 5) not a knock against this particular combo, but am I the only one who
> is leery of USB keyboard/mouse connections? Unfortunately, I didn't keep
> good notes, but I've noticed in playing with odd computers that come my
> way that some disrupt the latency test when I move the mouse, more so
> with USB mice. If I ever get some time I'd like to do some experiments.
> Obviously, it may be dependent on the motherboard, the cpu, the south
> bridge, the bios, etc., so nailing down definitive guidelines may be
> difficult.

And expensively arbitrary.  Buy & try IOW.

OTOH, ps2 stuff has largely turned into Dodo birds, extinct for the most
part.  I did, at big lots, find a rubber (comes rolled up in a tube)
keyboard with a usb connector on it, but haven't actually plugged it in.
The basic idea is a sealed and swarf-proof keyboard.  I short out or stick
a key about 2x a year here it seems. :(

Interestingly, it hasn't crashed in a bit over an hour now, so while I am
ssh'd into it, I'm running latency-test.  Since its video isn't doing
anything but refreshing the stationary local screen, I've got a solid 17.5
u-secs out of a 25 u-sec base thread on that box.  But that will triple and
throw its one error about 20% of the time just starting emc.  But I haven't
ever heard its effects in the form of a rough tone from my steppers, so
I've not been overly concerned with trying to throw money at it and fix it.
Humm, something tickled it, its now up to 18.2 u-secs.  For that mobo, that
is good.  But it took the 4th video card in it, an ATI X1650, to get it
that way.  Running on the ati/radeon driver of all things!

> Good luck.

Thanks, I'll likely need it, Murphy being the perverse jerk he is. :)

Half tempted to go see what staples has in cheap mini boxes.  Last time I
looked, I wasn't impressed. $695 minimum.  Sigh.  One of the prices one
pays to live somewhere enjoyable.  Oh, that Clipper I mentioned?  The front
deck has picked up an inch at least of that white, shovel able stuff in the
last half hour.

Cheers, Gene
The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite
of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
                -- Niels Bohr