2012/1/3 gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com>:

> I do not currently have a machine that can boot from either usb or network,
> and that includes this $300 Asus mobo with a quad core phenom on it.  So
> ATM, the only universal boot to install method I have is to maintain a
> working internal optical drive in every box.

I am sure that there is even more universal method, which fits also
size-limited situations - You can have one dvd drive for all machines
and attach it to particular PC, when necessary. That way You will save
on dvd drive cost, space in the case (and case size, if space limit is
an issue) and, important for DIY cases, also effort of fitting it
nicely in the case.

>> I just would like to warn You about using D525 and LPT-based I/O card
>> that requires EPP mode - Intel has screwed it up, I had a very bad
>> experience with 3 D525 boards, other users can report success, so be
>> careful.
>
> I followed that discussion rather closely, but for steppers it doesn't
> appear that fully working EPP is required.

I mean those I/O cards that do hardware step generation and provide
more I/O bits than there are LPT pins, like Mesa 7i43 or PicoSystems
PPMC.

Usual LPT breakout boards that require software step generation do not
require EPP, so would work fine.

Viesturs