On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 10:20:45AM +1100, Frank Tkalcevic wrote:
> I've just googled for HDMI to VGA converter cables, and they seem cheap and
> plentiful.
>
> Is this just a plug in solution?  Is the HDMI signal VGA compatible?

Noooo.  DVI has pins in it (the 4 more widely spaced ones in a square
on one end) which carry VGA.  Most (maybe all) display cards present
normal analog VGA signals on those pins.  There are devices ("DVI-D")
which don't have those pins and are digital only.

HDMI is a cable standard which carries the digital part of DVI.  An
HDMI to DVI cable (or converter) just picks up the digital lines (the
dense grid of pins on the DVI connector).  The VGA pins from DVI are not
connected by an HDMI cable or connector.

A "HDMI to VGA cable" could only work if the device (the motherboard in
this case) had some special provision for putting VGA signals onto HDMI
pins.  I've never heard of that, but it may exist.  Sort of like mice
that supported USB or PS/2 with an adapter -- that adapter didn't convert
from USB to PS/2, it just electrically connected the pins and the mouse
itself was capable of doing either.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<b...@ben.com>