I think as long as you're modeling your extruder as an axis, you can't change
it's speed without also changing the speed of all the other axes (by using the
feed override knob on the motion controller).

Also, as long as your extruder's position is controlled by the motion
controller, you won't be able to change its scale factor without causing a
following error.

You might be able to short-circuit the motion controller's notion of the A axis
by netting the motor-pos-cmd back in to motor-pos-fb, then eavesdrop on what
the G-code says the extruder should be doing by connecting the motor-pos-cmd
net to some more hal circuitry.  For example, you could run it into a ddt
component (to get the g-code's commanded extruder speed), run that into a scale
component, and finally run the output of scale to your extruder's stepgen's
velocity command input.  Then by tweaking the scale.gain pin you would tweak
the actual extrusion rate.

It might work!

On Jan 18, 2012, at 13:41 , Lars Andersson wrote:

> I would like to dynamically change the flow rate of material feed of my
> plastic rapid prototyper. The material is dispensed by a step motor on the
> A-axis. A is running proportional to the combined speed of X and Y (always
> counting up) . The scale factor for A is set at the G-code generation, it is
> almost on target but I would like to tweak it slightly. So I try to change
> stepgen.3.position-scale with a potentiometer.
>

> net flowrate stepgen.3.position-scale <=  input.0.abs-rx-position
>
> This is not allowed, "stepgen.3.position-scale" is a parameter, not a pin
>

> I try manually while running:
>
> setp stepgen.3.position-scale  210   (it was was 200 before)
>
> This immediately gives a "joint 3 following error" even for a very small
> change.
>

> Can I work around this?
>

> Is there a better way to do what I want to do? (Hope so!)

Sebastian Kuzminsky