On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 08:40 +0200, Viesturs Lācis wrote:
... snip
> Ground is shared on both sides, because 5V and 12V are supplied by PC's PSU.
> Is there a simple way I can drive that transistor without optoisolator?

I think you could add a smaller transistor in place of the
opto-isolator. See the attachment for rough schematic that would need
work to make a practical circuit. An off-the-shelf solid state relay
might do the job too.

... snip
>  it seems that with
> all my struggle I am getting over the "diy will be cheaper" line and
> it does not seem that I can easily get it working)
> I like that point of distracting client's attitude :)
>
> Viesturs

Many times I find it easier to make what I need, than to try and modify
an existing product to fit what I need. Sometimes one needs isolation
sometimes not. Sometimes one needs to convert a 12 Volt signal to 5 or 3
Volts, or RS232 to RS485 and an existing product just doesn't have the
right combination of features. After some experience one gets used to
what works them, but maybe not for anyone else. If a product has the
proper features, my guess it will most often be cheaper overall to buy
than to make, but for me, at this time, I either make it from what I
have on hand, or it doesn't get done.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html