2012/1/27 Peter Blodow <p.blo...@dreki.de>:
> Viesturs,
> it seems to me that your laser diode is just acting as a "normal" LED,
> not as a laser. This state is only achieved at a very distinct point up
> on top of the voltage/current curve. The laser diode supply electronics
> must take care of this which is a rather delicate controlling task. In
> other words, the producer of that electronics thing is responsible for
> keeping the correct working point. Mostly there isn't much to adjust on
> them. Are you sure you are using the correct supply voltage as
> specified? If this certain voltage is not reached, the diode will not be
> brought up to the laser point, if it is too high, the diode could soon
> release its magic smoke.

Thanks, Peter!
Well, it has a separate board with several capacitors, resistors and
something with 3 legs, large heatsink and LM317T written on it.
It is written that it requires 12VDC and consumes ~1A. I am providing
the power from PC's PSU.

Gene, thank You for explanation! I really appreciate Your help and
detailed information, but all I understood from that - I can extract a
hexfet from dead PC PSU. All the remaining stuff, including use of
hexfet and driving it - it is beyond my knowledge of electronics.

Laser _was_ burning wood, when attached directly (with less than 1 m
long, 0,5mm^2 wire) to the driver board. It did not want to burn wood
(but at least it was shining), when attached, where it belongs, on top
of the Z plate. There is ~5m of very thin wire, going up there.
Now I cannot get it to shine even when attached back directly to
driver board. That crap is driving me nuts...

But I also have untuned servo problem running in parallel to this, so
it seems that I am stuck here for at least one more day.

Viesturs