On 01/27/2012 10:23 PM, Viesturs Lācis wrote:
> 2012/1/28 Rafael Skodlar<ra...@linwin.com>:
>>
>> Of course that won't work with most if not all the suggestions I've seen
>> so far. If I understand it correctly, your "laser" already has a circuit
>> to drive it at reasonable current to do it's magic.
>>
>> Circuit I suggested earlier was under assumption you have a bare laser
>> diode connected to it. You cannot daisy chain circuits one after another
>> and expect laser to work properly.
>>
>> Relays are out of question IMO because they are too slow mechanical
>> devices with many other drawbacks for this application. I see no reason
>> to bring in solid state relays into the picture either. You are not
>> driving high voltage stuff.
>>
>> You either need to modify your PCB that came with the laser diode or
>> build a new circuit. Maybe you can reverse engineer that PCB and use one
>> spot to inject signal from the EMC side.
>
> Ed, Kirk, Rafael, thank You!
>
> Given my lack of skills in electronics, I think that interfering and
> modifying the pcb that comes with laser is the last thing I want to
> do.
> Here are some pics of the laser and its pcb I took late in last night
> with my phone (it was late enough that I forgot to upload them
> yesterday evening):
> http://picpaste.com/2012-01-27_21.54.59-QzJqS24n.jpg
> http://picpaste.com/2012-01-27_21.55.16-mx4U2GiU.jpg
> http://picpaste.com/2012-01-27_21.55.36-wtANcKHw.jpg
> http://picpaste.com/2012-01-27_21.56.28-ySpITI8d.jpg
>
> I think that I will try the "use a relay" approach, because:
> 1) it is simple enough for me to do it;
> 2) it does not require modifying existing laser's board;
> 3) it will be fast enough for me, because I am going to use the laser
> in a "a la milling" fashion - move laser along the line to be burned
> instead of moving it back and forth and switching it on, when
> necessary, because:
> a) the laser is weak, so by definition it can't burn quickly;

That will cause missed or late start unless you compensate that with
stepper or servo waiting for the relay/laser delay. Photo sensor in a
loop (PID) could fix that but that's more work than creating a simple
current limit circuit with LM317 and a few other components as noted
earlier.

If all else fails, you can burn a T-shirt for yourself :-)
http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2011/07/diana_engs_laser_lace_tops.html

> b) machine is heavy and relatively slow, compared to "normal" laser
> engravers, so it would not be able to handle very powerful laser
> anyway;

Not necessarily true. Not knowing how it looks like it's hard to tell.
Remember that light can be transmitted over a long distance "around the
corners" using mirrors like this one:
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4895.0 as long as it's not too foggy.

> c) g-code generation - I have no idea, how to generate g-code for
> "normal" laser engraving, but I know, how to do it for "a la milling"
> style.
>

> BTW client was happy, when he saw the first hand-burned lines in the
> wood that I managed to do last night in that small moment, when the
> laser was working...
>
> Viesturs

more links:
http://www.laoslaser.org/
these guys have a roadmap something suggested on this list:
http://wiki.laoslaser.org/index.php/Roadmap

I hope we see some pictures of the final system.

--
Rafael