2012/2/8 Anders Wallin <anders.e.e.wal...@gmail.com>:
>>  I see a problem with using "gcode generating" software languages to
>> machine complex geometries.
>>
> So, another conclusion from this discussion would be "Do Cutsim instead" !?
>
> Joseph Coffland seems to have
> independently made great progress at http://openscam.com/

He named the application OpenS[ource]CAM and in the limitation list he
writes that this is not a CAM application...
But it does look good on simulating the cutting process.

First of all, I have been following this discussion and somehow I have
not understood the intended goal to be achieved by the change of
language, in which the code for the machine is prepared.
So far I have noted that only Stuart Stevenson had arguments for
g-code limitations in describing complex surfaces.
But the discussion started much earlier and I do not understand, why.
My point here is that I do not mind any changes, it is just that I
feel like their reasons are not explained well, which would result in
much less acceptance from users. Erik argued that describing arcs with
I and J words in current g-code is not user-friendly. I think that
_every_ possible option will be inconvinient to somebody. I would like
to remind a saying here:
Write an application that is suitable also for idiots and only idiots
then will be willing to use it.
Erik proposed this line:
Arc CW X0 Y1 Centre X1 Y0.5 Feedrate 25
Is "centre x1 y0,5" are incremental distance from current point or
absolute coordinates of center point?

When compared to "normal" g-code, it becomes clear:
G2 X0 Y1 I1 J0.5 F25

But I do not see the difference for "amateur occasional CNC machine
user" 6 months later, because each of these syntaxes have things that
might be difficult to remember.
And I do not think that possibility to forget the meaning of I and J
should be the reason to change the code language.
There is "Quick g-code reference" under "Applications -> CNC" just for
these kind of situations.

Secondly, I took a look at Andy's link to wikipedia about APT language.
I have no idea about capabilities of this language and how well would
it perform in describing complex geometries, so no comments from me on
this matter.
What I would like to say is that I think that this language sucks at
the ease of understanding the code. I looked at that sample code and I
did not like it:
1) at first it describes some crucial points of the toolpath - either
corners or arc centers,
2) then it describes the lines and their mutual relations - which is
parallel or perpendicular to some initial "base" line;
3) only then it describes the motion along the lines, arcs;
4) in order to understand the described motion, I have to revert back
to all the previous information;
5) some things are still not obvious to grasp. For example, I do not
know, how to quickly find the coordinates of the point, where lines
and arcs ar joined together.
In g-code those points would be stated as G1 or G2/G3 endpoints, here
it just says that L2 is tangent to C3 or something like that. It is
easier to write the code, but I find it much more difficult to verify,
if it is correct.

Since this language makes the code much more difficult for user to
read and understand it - Erik already pointed out the comparison of
describing an arc in a single line in current g-code or 4 lines in apt
example.
I am not even talking about learning curve, required to climb up in
order to understand those commands, some of them seemed obvious, but
not all.
I think that 2 more additions to LinuxCNC would be needed:
1) CAM function to generate the code. I suspect that 90 % of CAM
applications, currently used by LinuxCNC users do not have capability
for output in apt language;
2) simulator to see, what particular code is going to do;
3) once more - CAM function to edit the code because, as I mentioned,
I do not see apt to be read- and edit-friendly to users.

It looks like the OpenSCAM is good at simulation
It also looks to me that Anders has done a good work on opencamlib, so
that it could be used as a basis for CAM function. But it would
require work on it to make it capable using all the apt advantages
over g-code which, as pointed out by previous posters, lies in parts
with complex geometries and, I suspect, also in 4+ axis machining.

Thirdly, I tend to agree with Steve Blackmore, who posted in another
thread that g-code is basically a standard in cnc world with lots of
minor variations, but the essence is the same.
IMHO drifting away from it would considerably decrease appeal of
LinuxCNC to new users.

Viesturs