On Wednesday, February 08, 2012 01:01:09 PM Oscar Chaides did opine:

> Hi, some body has the manual for a SLO-SYN 440-TH125 stepper driver from
> Superior Electric?, i google it without luck and the people of Dana
> Motion said i to old for support

You are asking about the driver & not the motor?

Those things have been around since shortly after dirt was invented, in
fact I believe the first one I saw was built with tubes like the 6AS7/6080
stuffs.  That is a long time ago.  But if its transistorized, I would use
as starter values, a 10 u-sec step pulse length, and at least a 10-u-sec
dir setup.  As for voltages, I'd check to see what output device it used,
look up its specs, and run not more than 50% of the devices ratings for
motor power supply voltage.  That should get it turning I would think.
Bear in mind that its possible that this driver is not a chopper stabilized
current control model, and could need external current limiting resistors
to keep the motors currents down to its nameplate ratings.  These will be
big, likely 100 or 200 watt rated resistors and can contribute quite a bit
of heat to the shop.

There is a possibility that it needs quadrature drive, in which case
step/dir would only jiggle it a bit. LinuxCNC makes that choice an easy one
to setup/test too.

This to me if those drives are that old, is a case where I think I'd take
the motors nameplate current as an upper limit, multiply the nameplate
voltage by as much as 40 and go shopping on ebay for a suitable driver.

I recently bought a 5 pack of MM-542's I am quite happy with for about $275
delivered from China from a dealer on ebay.  That is a smaller driver, up
to 42 volts and capable of over 3 amps, more than my motors need, and can
microstep as high as /64 AND do a 50% current powerdown while sitting
motionless so my motors at rest only warm up about 15F.  These drives will
run a little warmer on less voltage, less than 24 isn't recommended, and I
would have gone up to 40 volts at the time I built this last driver box but
since a 28 volt medically rated supply 9-12 amp supply with all sorts of
control options was available from, and still is, All Electronics for under
a $35 bill with shipping, $200+ cheaper than any higher voltage I could
find, so that made my decision to use 28 volts for me.

This particular supplies 28 volt output can be turned off by a logic
signal, and it can supply both 5 volts and enough 12 volts to run fans for
its own cooling.  I believe the 12 volt follows the 28, but the 5 volts for
logic is present full time if its plugged in.

I used that 5 volts to run a cnc4pc C1G interface, all in a closed alu box
with a 120 volt, 25 watt 5.5" rotron style fan to circulate the air inside
the box so the heat is well distributed to the box walls, and with another
5.5" 120 volt box fan that is currently sitting on edge on top of the box,
blowing across the top of the box, and which so far in several months
hasn't warmed up to the touch enough that I could use it for a hand warmer.
The loose fan across the top cools it nicely.  The inside of the box stays
clean too. :)

This family of drivers, MM-XXX IIRC is available for up to 8 amps and 80
some volts IIRC.

My motors are noticeably quieter at /16 microstepping than at the /8 that
the xylotex boards allowed, but this could well be an artifact of the error
between current setting in the driver and each individual motors ideal
drive current because as magnetic saturation is approached, the effect of
the microsteps will become more and more non-linear making the noise from
non-smooth motions more pronounced no matter what microstep value is
chosen.  I can't hear them until they get close to 40 rpms now.

Cheers, Gene
Who needs friends when you can sit alone in your room and drink?