Greetings all;

I have now managed to wreck 3 or 4 half completed attempts at this board by
typu's in my code driving the tapered hole probe too far, so I have turned
to the contact probes construction.

1. Assume the spindle carrying the ground is turning 2-400 rpms so that any
runnout is canceled as the probes end shape is then a cone shaped envelope
described by the probe as it turns, and its turning fast enough that the
probing motion has only advanced by maybe 0.0001" or less in the time it
takes to complete a revolution.

2. The response to a true from the probe is at worst the servo threads lag
to get the stopping initiated.  So I do 2 probes, one at say 4ipm, back up
a bit, 0.010 maybe, and redo it at say .2 ipm for a final G38.2 snapshot
capture in $5361-5369.

3. The current involved is a TTL pulldown, maybe 3 mills max, so electrical
erosion of the contact isn't a short term problem.  This is I suspect true
even if a add a small capacitor across the contact to stretch a momentary
contact out long enough for reliable first contact detection.

4. What would be wrong with taking the approach of making the probe contact
so flimsy it cannot damage the board even if driven sideways out of the
hole in the pcb and across the copper while it is still spinning?

Rummaging around in the missus's sewing stuff last night, looking for a
suitable flimsy straight pin to cabbage, I came across a couple of her
needle threaders, those ultra teeny little springs bent in a V that you
stick thru the eye of a needle, run the thread through the loop of the V
sticking out, and pull this wire, and the thread, back through the eye of
the needle thereby threading the needle with about 5% of the hassle of
trying to just stick the end of the thread through it.

I hit me that this ultra teeny little spring is exactly what the doctor
ordered if I was to rip it out of its coors can tab handle, and smunch it
into the end of a piece of 1/16" brass tubeing, sleeve that up with 2 more
sleeves to get it up to 1/8" shank, (no drill chuck needed, runs in a 1/8"
collet) and bend to shape so it spun reasonably true.  The tip of this
could be knocked around 3/8" without permanent deforming it, by less
pressure than it would take to damage the copper of the board.

Deal?  I'm going to make it today & find out!

Of what use is imagination if you don't use it?  ;-)

Cheers, Gene
Nothing is faster than the speed of light ...

To prove this to yourself, try opening the refrigerator door before the
light comes on.