On 02/15/2012 02:26 AM, Steve Blackmore wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 20:48:30 -0600, you wrote:
>
>>    Heating with the welder is my last resort.  The shaft isn't mine,
>> it's one of the local farmers, and if I can't fix it tonight, the local
>> farm supply wants nearly 2 grand for a new one, with overnight
>> shipping.  I was expecting to have this done in a couple hours on
>> Sunday, now it's Tuesday evening.  A new gear, and bearings will be here
>> in the morning.
> Normally some heat and the bearing puller works, or nick it with a
> cutting wheel on the grinder, then a sharp whack with a cold chisel.
> They usually shatter and fall off.
>
> Steve Blackmore

   The cold chisel trick was the first thing I tried, and when I broke
the cold chisel, I started looking for another way to get it off,   The
second thing I tried, was my jury rigged press, but it didn't budge it.
That's when I mounted it in the lathe, and tried cutting it off.

   I DID get it off last night.  There was a gear behind the race, and
since it was already damaged, I had a brainfart, and welded a fairly
hefty mount to it, took it back to the farmers shop, and mounted a 6"dia
hydraulic cylinder to the mount.

   I pressed on the end of the shaft, while applying heat with a
rosebud...   The Hydraulic pump was straining pretty hard, so I figure I
had well over 60 tons on it when the race popped loose.  Of course,
popped doesn't do justice to what happened when the race came off.

   I then brought it back to my shop, cleaned up the journal, welded it
up, and turned it back to dimension.  Handed it back to the owner, took
a handful of meds, and passed out.  The new parts should be in by 2:00
this afternoon, so I'll see if I'm a Saint, or Satan soon :)

--
-Mark

Ne M'oubliez   ---Family Motto
Hope for the best, plan for the worst   ---Personal Motto