On 02/15/2012 02:30 PM, Steve Blackmore wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:59:26 -0600, you wrote:
>
>>    The cold chisel trick was the first thing I tried, and when I broke
>> the cold chisel, I started looking for another way to get it off,   The
>> second thing I tried, was my jury rigged press, but it didn't budge it.
>> That's when I mounted it in the lathe, and tried cutting it off.
>>
>>    I DID get it off last night.  There was a gear behind the race, and
>> since it was already damaged, I had a brainfart, and welded a fairly
>> hefty mount to it, took it back to the farmers shop, and mounted a 6"dia
>> hydraulic cylinder to the mount.
>>
>>    I pressed on the end of the shaft, while applying heat with a
>> rosebud...   The Hydraulic pump was straining pretty hard, so I figure I
>> had well over 60 tons on it when the race popped loose.  Of course,
>> popped doesn't do justice to what happened when the race came off.
>>    I then brought it back to my shop, cleaned up the journal, welded it
>> up, and turned it back to dimension.  Handed it back to the owner, took
>> a handful of meds, and passed out.  The new parts should be in by 2:00
>> this afternoon, so I'll see if I'm a Saint, or Satan soon :)
> Just thinking aloud - you must have removed bearing outers from a hub or
> such by running a weld around them. When the weld cools and contracts,
> bearing falls out of housing.
>
> Same thing "may" work for a bearing inner on shaft -  make up a loose
> fitting thick sleeve. Weld between bearing and sleeve and wait till it
> cools. In theory -- it should expand the bearing... or it might just be
> a load of bull :)
>
> Steve Blackmore

   I've never tried welding on a race to get it off.  I've never had a
race that was stuck this badly.  I've got all kinds of pullers, many of
which I've made.  I also have a set of pullers that screw onto a 10lb
slide hammer that can persuade even the stubbornest of races to come out.

   Doing the math, the theoretical limit to the pressure I was applying
was a bit more than 140,000 lbs.  I figure I wasn't too far from that
number, considering how much the pump was whining.  When the race let
go, it took a fair amount of the surface of the bearing journal with
it.  The journal under the race was gouged, and heavily cratered, and
just as blue as the race itself.

   Actually, this is the second race this month, that was this badly
welded.  The planetary gears in my Dad's transfer case ate themselves
up, after it's bearing failed.   I didn't have to worry about removing
that race, because I never put the planetary back in...  There was very
little of it left, and the input shaft was too badly damaged, The
housing looked like a 1920's shootout, and It took the better part of a
day to TIG weld all of the holes up (die cast aluminum... Ugh!).  Then I
welded the input and output shafts together, forcing it to be 1-1 full
time.  It still has 4-hi, but it no longer has 4-lo.

--
-Mark

Ne M'oubliez   ---Family Motto
Hope for the best, plan for the worst   ---Personal Motto