On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 15:52:44 -0700 (PDT)
"Peter C. Wallace" <p...@mesanet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jun 2012, Bryce Johnson wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 17:14:15 -0500
> > From: Bryce Johnson <sie...@gmail.com>
> > To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"
> > <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Got my
> > 5i25... now trying to set it up.
> >
> > I shopvacced all the PCI ports and reseated it.  Now it comes up!
> > Thanks Peter!
>
> Thats good!
>

> Empty slots exposed to fan blown dust/grime for possibly years are a
> common cause of bad PCI data.
>
> I use a piece of ~1/32" cardstock dipped in 99% isopropyl alcohol
> (IPA) for dirty slots (and also clean the card contact fingers with
> IPA as well as they often have transferred dust/grime from the slot
> contacts)

OH! That would be interesting using India pale Ale to clean slots. Opps!
Wrong world. Isopropanol or isopropyl alcohol are perfectly good
descriptors. Love the stuff especially when we had access to reagent
grade in 5 gal pails.

Of course, we had 190 proof ethanol with a siphon sitting on the shelf
at DPG (Dugway Proving Ground) Kept the IG out of the building because
he didn't have the proper immunizations. :-)
One day the supervisor walked into the lab to see one of the field
trapping crew filling a 1 L. graduated cylinder with 190. He threw his
hand to his forehead and exclaimed, Oh, damn!: there goes a good
cocktail party". That liter of hooch was headed for a jeep's or 3/4 T's
gas tank to keep the lines from freezing up in -40 weather. These
people were our field trapping crew that worked near Callao (sp) near
the NV boarder. The flight out to pick up the rodents when they were
trapping was known as the 'meece' run.

I know too much history, but ....

Dave