On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 20:47 -0700, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
... snip
> The latest G540 configuration uses a one output stepgen for the chargepump
> due to that rather annoying G540 "feature" that the chargepump needs a
> 10 KHz frequency which would force the use of a base thread if the bit was
> just GPIO (dont know why 500 Hz would not have done, oh well)

I have gotten 1 kHz to work.
http://wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/G540/g540_siig_1kHz.jpg
http://wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/G540/

It depends on how hard the drive circuit can drive the G540 input. A
buffer chip or transistor that can quickly drive the signal to 5 Volts
and 0 Volts will be able to get more charge into the G540's pump
capacitor and may get the frequency down to 500 Hz.
http://wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/G540/G540_upper_bottom_z-1b.png

> The chargepump stepgens are at the end numerically so dont interfere with
> the G540s stepgen assignment (they are stepgen 8 (P3) and 9 (P2))
>

> There are a couple ways to get a square wave out of the stepgen. One is to
> set
> the position scale to 10000, set stepgen output mode to quadrature and
> operating mode to velocity and finally set the velocity to .25 (this is .25
> instead of 1 because quadrature mode counts 4x as fast at step/dir mode)

I just use a parallel port, buffer and HAL's charge pump component.
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?About_Charge_Pumps

The G540 also has a pump bypass. See Step 3 here:
http://www.geckodrive.com/g540-initial-setup-guide

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html