Dave wrote:
> You are lucky you were able to get that out at all!
> The $150 plywood cost was cheap compared to what the heavy wrecker guys
> charge for a tug.

Right, it would have at least needed a truck crane if I couldn't figure
out what to do.  But, it was a Saturday, and nobody would come out
until Monday, anyway, so I had to improvise.  The Lull reach
forklift has a double-acting cylinder on the boom, so you can not
only lift, but push down hard enough to raise the front wheels in
the air.  So, we did that, I had to stay in and hold the joystick
while my friend packed dirt, logs, anything we could find into
the holes the wheels made, and then set the plywood on top of it.
Then, we could extend the boom and try to lift the lathe at a
distance, and that would raise the rear wheels, and do the same.
So, the machine, plus the deadweight of the lathe, dug ITSELF
out of the hole!
> I can relate to that.  Last spring I got a 20,000 lb 4wd crane stuck in
> the grass inside my U shaped driveway when I tried to turn it around by
> cutting across the grass.
> The tires would just spin in the soft, recently thawed clay - which is a
> lot like grease when it gets wet.  It stopped sinking at about 1.5 feet down
>
> I ended up parking it there for a week until the sopping wet ground
> refroze, then I used the hydraulic outriggers to jack it out of the
> frozen dirt, put blocks under the wheels and drove it out.

This machine had no outriggers, wish it had!

Jon