I own a Grizzly G1006 2HP Benchtop milling machine.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Mill-Drill/G1006

I've had it for almost 20 years.  It's maybe rigid enough for a 1 HP
spindle.  Lead screws instead of ball screws of course, as is the case
with all machines in this class... and not very good lead screws at
that.  It is what it is.

Before I bought it, I consulted with a machinist friend who started an
automation business and now owns a very nice machine building business
(lots of robots and vision systems).  He advised me to spend the same
amount of money on an older American made milling machine of the
Bridgeport type, with modest wear - probably a maintenance shop machine
as opposed to a production machine.  I should have followed his advice,
but I didn't.

I can't really complain too much about the Grizzly milling machine,
though.  Most of my work has been low tolerance and it's probably paid
for itself tenfold.  Some precision work is also possible, with great care.

My shop needs grew and I needed a lathe.  I looked at a Grizzly G0602,
thinking I might CNC it.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602

I considered my friend's good advice, and bought a nice old Clausing
10X24 lathe instead for $1200.  It's the opposite of the Asian imports.
They look good at a distance (on a website) but come up lacking when
viewed up close.  That old Clausing lathe had been repainted a horrid
shade of blue, which is chipping off in a few places.  It looks a bit
rough from afar, but up close, it's gorgeous.  It oozes quality.  A lot
of care went into the design and manufacture, and it's still nice and
tight today.  I put a VFD on the spindle as the first step of the CNC
conversion, and I've used it as an electronically variable speed manual
lathe so far.  I've slacked off on my numerous CNC projects this past
year, but it's slated for my big Summer Of CNC Projects, currently
underway with a CNC router project I've been working on steadily for the
last week.

I'll CNC the Grizzly milling machine too, for very low tolerance light
production, with a ball screw upgrade later.  The CNC Grizzly is an
extreme example of turd polishing.  I seriously thought of selling it
and buying an older Bridgeport style milling machine to CNC, but after
the troubles I had getting the 1000 pound lathe in the basement shop (no
deaths, and nothing injured but my pride), the idea of moving one
milling machine out and another in did not sit well with me.

I've looked at the 3-in-1 machines quite a bit over the years.  It feels
like a morbid fascination.  I like the concept at the zoomed out level,
but there were just too many compromises, including change over time,
machine flex, and small & inconveniently shaped work areas.  I liked the
looks of the Smithy Granite series, but just couldn't talk myself into one.

I can appreciate not having the space for a milling machine and a lathe,
but that's still my recommendation, even if it required building a heavy
duty shed in the back yard as a shop if that's possible, which would
also be great to keep the machining sounds and smells out of the house.

I'd also strongly recommend haunting Craig's List to find a good old
lathe or milling machine made in the US, Germany, etc., with a lot of
life still left.  It'll last longer and it'll be a lot easier to do good
work with it.  It'll be a lot less frustrating, and using a quality
machining tool just feels so much better.