On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 May 2013 13:16, Mark Wendt <wendt.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> We are back in the situation around 1900, where you had to plan your
> >> journey around the opening times of pharmacies that sold "Motor
> >> Spirit"
>
> > All well and good, but notice the dearth of charging stations in the
> middle
> > of the country.
>
> The point I was saying was that your argument appeared valid in 1900,
> but the motor car caught on then, even though you couldn't recharge it
> with grass from the side of the road like you could a horse.
> I am not saying that electric cars are here now, but they are
> definitely on the way.
>
> --
> atp

It's still valid now.  Given the choices that folks have, which are a lot
better today than they were in 1900 regarding reliable transportation, the
pure electric car needs to have a lot more going for it than what it
currently has.  I did mention earlier the hybrids were a much better
all-around choice in my opinion, since you're less likely to run out of
juice in the middle of nowhere.

One thing folks not of the USA do not realize, especially so in Europe
where the population is much, much denser than in the USA (Australia has
much the same lay of the land, of wide open spaces with little population).

What works in densely populated areas such as Europe and the UK, where
distances between those areas are a heck of a lot shorter than they are in
the USA, does not, and will not, work in the wide open spaces here in the
US.

A 200 to 300 mile limit per charge, with the current practically overnight
charge, would not work on trips many folks make all the time that are over
those mileages, without having to add more and more time for their schedule
to do the trip.

I can get close to 400 miles per tankful of gasoline in my truck, fill it
in less than 20 minutes, and be back on the road.  Can the same be said for
the all electric car?  Like I said earlier, until the full electric car
companies can overcome all those obstacles, they're going to be a very
small portion of American's vehicle purchases for the foreseeable future.

Mark