Confusion reigns!
The idea is to use the pi to drive a 7i90->7i33
I just tried the link John recommended .. 2.8.1 with the same result so it looks like I need to shift gears. I'm lost;  I just need a version that will run linuxcnc with servos. Agnostic about which version. If raspianos with uspace(?) will do that I'm happy. I just need something to WORK. ;-) With some pain I can use my wife's  Mac and the rpi-tools to get an image on to the SD.
Wandering in the wilderness.

Dave