So if I have a raspian os running that will run linuxcnc .... ??? an arm version that is.
...and I've   gone thru a  whole lot of angst for nothing?
Dave

On 4/7/21 9:02 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 07 April 2021 01:24:35 dave engvall wrote:

You can use dd, on an x86 box to write the u-sd card, that is not the
problem, but here is the problem, you did NOT start with the raspbian
#####.iso file. It will be complete with all that.

OK, so I download 20210210_raspi_4_buster.img.xz
 From what url, I'll look and make sure you can get the right stuff.

check sha256 and it matches
make a *.img out of it.
attempt to install the rpi-imager ....  no x86 version.   so use dd
dd to SD:   dd bs = 1M if=202010210-raspi_4.buster.img
of=/media/dave/3339-3839/rpi_4_buster
unmount
put SD in rpi4B and power up
get the same error  messages as before:

autoboot.txt not found
config.txt not found
recover4.elf not found
recovery.elf not found
start.elf not found
SD boot failed

So is the .img missing bits and pieces or are there steps beyond the
dd of the image that need to
add the missing files?  If so where do I look for these files?

Dave