Update on the laser probe.

Thanks to some input from this group and a discussion with Peter at Mesa tech,
I now have a laser distance measuring device reading to within 0.001”. The
range of my instrument is about 2” and I need only about 1/2”, so I can get the
precision down to 1/4 of that. Not that I need it.

As I mentioned earlier, the laser instrument is a Keyence iA-1000/iA-060. The
output from this device is a scalable analog 0.5-4V signal.

I built a small board that powers the laser, converts the voltage to a
frequency, and feeds signal into an encoder configured for count mode. 24v
Power enters the board via a pair of screw terminals. This power is filtered,
regulated, then brought out to the laser. The analog voltage signal is
converted to a frequency signal, which then goes through an isolator and is
delivered to the mesa board via the P1 expansion socket

I used an Analog Devices AD7741 voltage to frequency converter. This device
needs to be clocked with either a clock input or a crystal. I used a step
generator output for this.

The isolator I used is a NVE IL-712-2E. This is a 2-channel “digital isolator”
with channels running in opposite directions. This device is remarkably fast;
propagation delay is 15ns and max pulse width distortion is 3ns. I have never
before heard of digital isolators. Are they a new thing? Any reason why not to
use them over optical isolators?

If I had been smart, I would have just purchased a mesa THCAD card. I would
have accomplished more but learned less.

Thaddeus Waldner