The only thing I would add to Andy's comments about machining hard steel
with carbide is to get a green stone and remove the built up edge after
every pass. Heat is what kills the cutter.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 11:34 AM Leonardo Marsaglia <ldmarsag...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I have machined a number of ballscrews. Typically I peel of the outer
> > hardened layer with CBN-tipped tools, but mainly because I have some.
> > It can be done with normal carbide, though you might need more than
> > one.
> > Very high surface speed and very light cuts is the way to go.
> >
> > https://youtu.be/SmuZXXP_hMY
>

> Nice Andy! I have some sumitomo CBN inserts I purchased from ebay a while
> back because they were really cheap but never used it because I'm always
> lacking the tool holder...
>
> El lun, 21 mar 2022 a las 12:54, andy pugh (<bodge...@gmail.com>)
> escribió:
>
> > On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 at 13:53, Leonardo Marsaglia <ldmarsag...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Sam, have you had to soften the final portion of the ballscrew to
> machine
> > > that thread? I've never done it and the ones I'm mounting in the router
> > are
> > > fixed (rotating nut).
> >
> > I have machined a number of ballscrews. Typically I peel of the outer
> > hardened layer with CBN-tipped tools, but mainly because I have some.
> > It can be done with normal carbide, though you might need more than
> > one.
> > Very high surface speed and very light cuts is the way to go.
> >
> > https://youtu.be/SmuZXXP_hMY
> >
> > --
> > atp
> > "A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is
> > designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and
> > lunatics."
> > — George Fitch, Atlanta Constitution Newspaper, 1912

Addressee is the intended audience.
If you are not the addressee then my consent is not given for you to read
this email furthermore it is my wish you would close this without saving or
reading, and cease and desist from saving or opening my private
correspondence.
Thank you for honoring my wish.