I'm doing a long-awaited upgrade from 2.7 RT-Preempt to 2.8.2 Debian.

I have an X200 VFD.  It is only superficially different than the WJ200_VFD included.  Like 2 coil numbers change.  I modified it and compiled and included it in my Linux 2.7 installation- I stumbled all there there, but eventually got it compiled and going.  But the steps I followed under 2.7 don't work. "./configure" isn't any task it can find.

I brought in my existing X200_VFD code into hal/user_comps.  It includes modbus.h.  It (and WJ200_VFD) fail compile for "modbus_t" being undefined (should be in header file).  I found modbus.h that I think came with 2.8.2, but it's an empty file.  I think the compile path is ok to find modbus.h, but why is the file empty?

I did look at github- there is supposed to be a modbus.h with contents there, but it's a modbus.h that contains "modbus_param_t".  The WJ200_VFD file uses a different modbus.h that defines "modbus_t" (and all the other content is different). I found nothing in the installation of LinuxCNC on the drive, but I did fine https://github.com/stephane/libmodbus IS the correct one.

How do I include this so it compiles?   What's actually broken here- why does the  WJ200_VFD included with LinuxCNC not have the modbus.h file it needs to compile?

Full disclosure- I'm not a Linux guy.  So, really basic simplistic difficulties might be the problem.

Danny