Thanks Andy!  Closer...  it's in /usr/include/modbus/

I specified that.  Now it doesn't fail on a missing type modbus_t, but rather "undefined reference" to any modbus_write_bit etc functions.  So even though I did get that install for libmodbus to work, it just has the header file.  It's not able to find the definitions in a compiled file.

More ideas?

Danny