OK, I tried putty with 2 & 3 tied together and it loops back and shows keystrokes while tied.  So the NUC's RS232 port IS functional.

I found an FTDI USB RS232 but it ends in female pins, I need male.

Found a knockoff PL2303 USB-to-DB9 cable, I hope it's RS232 level, it does end in a DB9.  No luck there either.  Same "Modbus timed out" error.

There is an isolated RS232-Modbus bridge there in between.  I know it works because it's fine with the existing Dell and 2.7.  I did speculate if the electrical signal levels are somehow different it might not work on the new machine, but that doesn't make much sense.

I guess I need to bring the oscilloscope out- if the baud rate is wrong, that would do it, but I don't see how 2.8 would change that.  Same code.  But I'm running out of other things to check.

Danny