On Tuesday, 19 April 2022 12:46:20 EDT Peter C. Wallace wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022, gene heskett wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:24:26 -0400
> > From: gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> >
> >     <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> >
> > To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"
> > <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] nother Q
> > for Peter
> >
> > On Tuesday, 19 April 2022 07:59:12 EDT andy pugh wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 at 03:51, gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
>
> wrote:
> > > So by default. a bit is .142578125 volts.  Hummm. Seems odd. I
> > > would
> > > have expected $00 to $FF as output.
> >
> > It does on the FPGA and the interface, but the driver converts to
> > floating point for convenience and then the default scaling is to
> > volts.
> >
> >Can I access it raw as the hex value? volts doesn't really represent
> >what I need to work with. Although I assume the fp in volts does
> >increment by the value of 1 bit change, so that can be worked around.
>
> You can scale as you wish with the scalemax parameter
>
> >How would I go about determining the resistor value to feed that input
> >from nominally 42.3 volts to just bring it to full scale? My
> >additional connections would "sink" it from there.
>
> You would need about 3K to get 36V into the 20K input impedance with a
> 42V source

Ouch. That is going to need a power transistor on a heat sink to pull
that down to 4 volts. Thats around 15 mils. And a 1 Watt R.

> >I have a small voltage applied to that input, but a halmeter is only
> >reading a flicker of random noise at about 1 second intervals, zero
> >the rest of the time. Thats likely a clue I'm doing something wrong,
> >but what?
>
> Is the input relative to field power ground? (the field I/O section
> section is galvanically isolated from the 5V parts of the 7I76)

I'll have to check that. I thought it was. Did, According to my ohmmeter,
it is a common ground.

> I did get the flood button to appear in the axis gui, which is what I
> will use to enable the mister air seperately from the mister pump, and
> will interlock the pump so air has to be flowing before the pump can be
> started. 'Twould be nice if I could relabel that radio button from
> flood to air, can it be?
>
> >I did just find the pwmgen's pins, which despite the fact that they
> >steal the 7i76's stepgen-4 pins, are addressed in the 5i25 as
> >pwmgen.00.etc. No mention of that in the 7i76 docs I assume because
> >the pwmgens are actually in the 5i25.  Is pwmgen.01 then the same
> >pins on the 5i25's p2?

> You can use mesaflash to determine the 7I76 pins:

Or as I found, enable the device in the loadrt line and read the cards
signon output as you exec linuxcnc -l.

However, pwmgen.00.'s outputs do show up on the DIR4+- and
STEP4+-. terminals of the 7i76. But see 5i25man.pdf for data about it.

> sudo mesaflash --device 5i25 --dbname1 7i76 --readhmid
>

> (this needs mesaflash 3.4.2)

Not available for buster, it has 3.4.0-rc1 or similar.

Thank you Andy.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis