On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 15:59:16 EDT Todd Zuercher wrote:
> Gene,
>
> If you think you could fix it I'd be more than willing to send the old
> drive to you to work on it.  I am certainly not a CET, but there isn't
> any obvious failures from something blowing up or overheating, and the
> caps show no visible swelling or leaking.
>
> The drive had been acting up for the past couple months.  When the
> machine would be first powered on (throwing disconnect) the drive
> would not "turn on" right away "Power" LED on the front of the drive
> would not light up, even though the drive had power on all 3 phases.
> If the machine was left turned on for an extended period of time (a
> half hour or maybe more) eventually the drive would power up and work
> correctly.  This drive has no display other than a row of 5 LEDs for
> fault and power indication.  None of the alarm indicators have ever
> have shown anything.  Last week it stopped working completely.  We are
> of the opinion the problem probably likes in the low voltage board and
> won't be easily found.

That you probably could find with the KC-MO meter. I'd bet a beer its
still a capacitor, probably a 16 volt that was used in a 5 volt circuit,
and 5 volts is not enough to keep them "formed" so they gradually lose
capacitance.

But if on a wave soldered board full of surface mounted stuff, will take
longer to fix, as I never invested in the soldering tools that took. And
a delicate touch. Back when we had about 15 of the DVC-PRO Panasonic
machines at WDTV, I used to shotgun the caps on 2 to 4 boards a day. 40+
caps about the size of a lead pencil erasor or smaller. Great machines
when they worked, but panasonic made their own caps, no one else made
them small enough. I retired 20 years ago this coming June because my
back was giving me hell from being bent over doing that thru a big
magnifying lens and at 67, it looked like I was stuck doing that 6 or so
hours a day till we converted to digital high def, then 6 years yet in
the future.

What you need to do, is see if you can find a local CET. We are a mite
rare.  I can and have drove over to Dayton as Venture MFG is or was
behind the airport, and they made (or imported) the bigger satellite dish
steering jacks I used on the dish mounts I made at WDTV, but its a looong
half day trip each way. Often past last call by the time I rolled back
into the driveway here in WV.

Somebody at the National Electroncs Association HQ in Omaha might be able
to tell you a phone number or two. Ask for Ronald Crow if he still lives.
He co-signed my Certificate in 1972. 50 years ago now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis