Being a suspicious kind of guy I'd hang an encoder on the shaft and measure it. Jon Elson makes an  interface that  passes thru the encoder counts on a panasonic servo motor with your electronics background you ought to be able to do the same for your servo. Just thinking out loud which usually get me in trouble. So I'll open my mouth, then duck and run. ;-)
Dave0.3633333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
Opps! contribution from the CAT.