On 6/25/22 15:56, Jon Elson wrote:
Hello, all,

I just got an R2E3 Bridgeport mill in my basement, and will be doing a LinuxCNC retrofit.

I seem to recall the NC400 servo amps create a maddening squeal, is that correct, or an I remembering some other system?

I had to pull the rigid ram and head off the machine as an assembly, to clear my doorway.  Does anybody have some hints on how to go about reassembling that?  My plan is to remove the Z servo and the spindle motor, then take the head off the ram, install the ram back on the base and then hoist the head back up on the ram.  An issue with this is that I have very limited ceiling height of about 92", so getting my engine crane to lift it from above may be very difficult.  One possible plan is to lift the head onto the table with some kind of cribbing and then use the knee screw to lift the hear into position.

I am real familiar with the 1J head on my old mill, but don't really know how to get the 2J BOSS-style motor off the head and varispeed.  Any suggestions on that are welcome.

Thanks,

Jon