> PS, I'm still more inclined to thinking either there is a problem with the
> VFD's configuration, or the spindle bearings are going bad.  I've never had
> a drive cause problems like you're describing (not that I have that much
> experience with drives going bad.)  Usually either they work or they
> don't.  I've had rectifiers go bad and was able to replace them and put the
> drive back in service.  Others that just died I was not able to pinpoint
> the failure and just had to replace them.  This last drive I had to
> replace, I could see being a capacitor problem.  It would fail to power up
> for a couple of hours after first turning on the machine in the morning.
> It would run fine all week as long as it was left on, or if only turned off
> for a few seconds but over night or the weekend it was wait for the power
> LED on the drive to turn on, then cycle the power to the machine to clear
> the alarms and you were good to go.

I thought about the bearings too but they feel and sound as always. In
fact, the last time we used the spindle before the VFD stopped working we
were cutting for about 40 minutes + another 25 minutes of preheating of the
spindle before that. The ambient temperature was easily 40°C but the
spindle never reached more than 55°C at the bearings and no more than 60°
at the stator. The temperature settled at those values. Other than that I
don't know where to look on the spindle side.