On 4/25/23 09:27, Thaddeus Waldner wrote:
What I mean is that specific driver would not fit into my space. I am currently
using a custom 24v BLDC driver that I built. But the only option for power
supply at this point is a wall wart that is about twice the size of your
typical laptop charger, which I’d like to eliminate.

I'm with Todd, confused.
The psu for such a motor all by itself would be smaller than the psu for the typical 3d printer, but that is still going to be bigger than the driver, which for one of the motors I'm thinking of needs a length of 118mm, a depth from mount face to terminals of 86mm, and thickness of 34mm, part of which is heat sink it does not need unless working really hard.

These new drivers can function with up to 90 volts, delivering 5 to 6 amps into the motor, dependent on the detected error. Motor current is not fixed, but varies with the detected error so the motor normally runs dead cool, much more energy efficient than std 2 phase steppers. This is the power that spins the electrical meter determining your monthly power bill. The error, if only 1 count between the step-gen count and the encoder, feeds less than an amp to the motor, 2 count error, maybe an amp, 10 counts, 4 amps. This is micron accuracy in most direct drive situations. Their speed limit is more likely to be determined by the speed of the opto-isolators in the drive input circuitry. Testing these motors just laying on the table with no load, I've run them with a function generator at 375 kilohertz! At a /8 microstep, that's over 3000 revs at 24 volts. At 90 volts, it might be possible to hit the 5000 revs and still have usable torque to turn the load.

It might take another box to contain the psu and driver, but I think the motor itself is capable to doing the job. Wired into hal correctly, a 5 micron error will stop linuxcnc in a millisecond. Tested, works, but has yet to occur doing a job. Currently the driver costs more than the motor, but I suspect that will equalize and lower once the NRE costs have been recovered, say about a year from now.

Bleeding edge tech usually has a bleeding edge price... TANSTAAFL.