You have such a large flat surface area there. Design an encoder mount
plate of similar size where the end result is also has a flat surface.

Rough and clean the back of the motor up, then use a decent polyurethane
adhesive to bond it on. During the setup you could use a jig to keep it
concentric with the shaft.
Design it in such a way that you can still replace the encoder if need be.

Roland