On 7/30/23 00:12, John Dammeyer wrote:
Hi Gene,
Best answered with the data sheet.
https://www.cuidevices.com/product/resource/amt11.pdf

A Capacitative device. Not a hall effect. The capacitative may be faster than a hall. The reason I'm anti hall is the time lag in the hall world due to the time it takes to do the A/D conversions, which in turn means the hall encoded setup moves in jerks depending on the speed of that conversion. The 42C series of small motors, seen as ideal for a 3d printer, are a disaster because they don't move step by step but jerk by jerk, frequency of jerk determined to the speed of the A/D. Optical can determine where the motor is and which direction its turning from any edge of either A or B signals. At sufficient microstep divisors they can move quite pretty smoothly. I'd assume this time lag in less for the capacitative, but at the same time there is the Nyquist effect but the capacitative conversion is simpler, but the serial output still enforces a lag in the data stream. Only optical, which at higher and fixed resolutions is instant. The question remains then "is capacitative fast enough". And that IDK. The 115 kilobaud output says no to me. That alone would make me go shopping for a ABI encoder.

But I'm known to be picky. That's an optical $22 Omron 1000 ppr on the back shaft of the 1 hp in my g0704. With the gear ratio being switchable, and that encoder rated for 6k revs, but I watch spindle revs in the tach display. Top spindle is 3k revs. So times a hair over 7100, its seeing motor revs of nearly 21k revs at full song and not missing a beat for about 5 years now. Scale for high gear is a hair over 7100 per spindle rev. I don't use the index, that is generated by a screw glued to the spindle going by an ATS-667 hall effect. That has its own direction problem I'm not smart enough to fix. Someday...

Not cheap in Canadian $.
https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/cui-devices/AMT113Q-V/4835229

John

-----Original Message-----
From: gene heskett [mailto:ghesk...@shentel.net]
Sent: July 29, 2023 9:02 PM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Drilling holes in the back of a stepper motor

On 7/29/23 22:36, John Dammeyer wrote:
Here's my solution.  Drilled and milled 0.065" aluminum.  Two counter
sunk
holes in the back.  The modified flat head screws epoxied in serving as
threaded studs.  Then followed standard CUI installation and alignment
instructions.

Now to interface to it and write software to capture the motion and
position
John

Just one question John, is that encoder optical, or hall effect?
Optical is real time, hall effect is not.