Hi Gene,

I've done some other tests too.  With the reduced acceleration on the spindle
it takes a while now for it to go from 0 to 3000 RPM.  Here's what's
interesting. If I tell it S0 it sets the speed to 0 and does the M5 and stops
instantly.  If I do an S1 it slows from 3000 RPM down to 1 RPM and no M5.
Now if I then do an M5 it stops.  All that makes sense.

Next.  I have it running at S1200 M4 (CCW).  I then tall it S200 M3.  I get the
slow smooth deceleration and then change in direction and acceleration back up
to 200 RPM with the new ACCEL values.  Still fairly smooth.

Therefore I'm guessing that at the end of the I6 which is turning 1200 RPM CCW
the internal behavior is like immediately executing an M3 with tracking
disabled since we no longer want the Z to move the work into the tap again.
(or the tap into the work).

If I put the higher spindle accel values back the change from 600 RPM CCW to
200 RPM CW (the original M3 speed for tapping) is almost instant.

So why might that be?  My theory is that Z tracks the spindle until it's
reached the original start position.

G33.1 Z-0.7 K0.05 I3.0
Let's take a look at trajectory planning here remembering like threading on a
lathe the Z axis tracks the spindle speed.  The question is what does it do as
it's unscrewing the tap.
1.  The hole was -0.7" deep.
2. Z takes 0.1" to decelerate at 30 ipm (the I3 speed) so starts to decelerate
at Z=-0.1 to reach Z0.0.
3. The trajectory planner should decelerate the spindle to 0 RPM during that
last  0.100" Z axis motion using the Z ACCEL value
4. When Z is back at the start (Z=0.000) the spindle should also be stopped and
at this point the G33.1 command is complete..
5. Except we have to put the spindle back to where we were when it started
which was S200 M3.

Except maybe, the system issues the S200 M3 at the -0.1" Z position assuming
the Z will finish it's deceleration and the spindle will stop and go back to CW
at 200 RPM.
Z (Joint 2) is still tracking the spindle which is now decelerating way too
fast and we get the following error.

Or maybe at Z=-0.1 the system issues an M5 to stop the spindle which it does
almost instantly and Z can't keep up and a following error.

When I change the spindle acceleration so it slows down to zero at a rate that
Z can keep up with and I don't get a following error.

Anyway, the behaviour is now repeatable and I suspect how the I parameter is
handled with respect to tracking is a problem.

John

If the system knows that at Z ACCEL values it takes say 0.1" to come to a halt
then it likely tells spindle to now slow down to 0 as the Z axis decelerates to
0 arriving at the Z starting point of the tapping process.