> From: andy pugh [mailto:bodge...@gmail.com]
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 at 17:31, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
> wrote:
>
> Except it would still require an add on card still called a cape perhaps?
>

> I think that the attraction of the Beagleboard was that the PRU could be
> used for step generation and encoder counting. There were some hats that
> included stepper drive, but you would need those anyway.

It's likely too soon to know if the " Arm Cortex-R5 subsystem for low-latency
I/O and control "  has the ability to be the step/dir engine for 4 axis and a
spindle (step/dir or PWM).

But still for anything to be simple using LinuxCNC the orginal cape for the
Beagle that provided a DB-25 to connect to a BoB is not a good solution.

Similarly a cape with built in drivers like the Replicape where a driver fails
requiring replacement of the cape is also a non-starter.

I still think this is the best idea except instead of a network cable to a PC
with custom software the connection should be USB+HDMI to a 1080P monitor.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy/images/centroid_acorn_cnc_controller.pdf
There should be only one user interface modeled after the MACH3 with menu's and
forms to fill out to set things up.  The need to drop into custom code (BASIC
in MACH3) should only be for specialized customization.  The target needs to be
the small mills that go for under $1500.

John