Pedro no pude bajar el pdf, hay un problema, lo puedes revisar?

Pedro, I was not able to download the pdf, it was a format problem, can you
check it?

And Brian I was very excited about your use of Foucault. For me Discipline
and Punish has been a pivotal book, teaching me about powergames and
cohersion versus consensus or autogestion.
I think to think "outside the box" in the curatorial practices we should
reformulate the theory or theories of the State. When I was younger I was
engaged in several anarchist practices (lived in a collective, made a
magazine, was publishing anarchistic theorics such as Castoriadis, Murray
Bookchin, Pierre Claestres etc, etc) and we read many texts analyzing the
creation of the modern state.
I was very interested in the German Carl Schmidt, a notorious antisemite
and nazi, one of those giving legal cover to the most despicable actions of
Hitler's regime, the burning of books, the antijews laws, etc. Schmitts
theory of the state and Giorgio Agambens theses of the "State of Exception"
are in some ways complementary.
Schmitt justifying the use of force and cohersion to defend the status quo
and the rule of the chosen ones, Agamben stating that the laws of the
exception are today ruling everyday's life.
Patriot Act in the US is such an example, the laws used against artists as
Steve Kurtz and Art Critical Ensemble were a typical example of the use of
martial laws.
And going back to Foucault, one of my house gods :), I want relate his
question " "At what price can subjects speak the truth about
themselves?" to Gayatri Spivaks magnificient texts "Let the subaltern
speak".
In relation to the state we are all subalterns, the state have the monopoly
of the discourse through schools, universities, media outlets.
Art is intimate related to it, how can we act and perform independent art
within the frame of a state ruled by norms born from greed and accumulation?
The subversive character of the Art doomed many performers and both Nazis
and Stalin were guilty of deporting, imprisoning and killing many artists:
in Russia Ossip Mandelstam, Meyerhold, Pasternak, etc, etc. In Germany
almost all the important writers, painters and musicians. The Entartete
Kunst and the Entartete Music were in fact the state interpretation of how
Art was conceived by the State as a tool for glorification of the state and
the national values.
Again, as Teddy Cruz asked in the discussion last month, what is possible
to do to recover an independent role in a world where the market and the
state are becoming the same?

Ana

--
http://www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/

mobil/cell +4670-3213370

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci