Mark R. Bowyer wrote:
> Kim Woelders wrote:
>> I found a major bug in the iconv stuff which I think is fixed in the
>> latest e16 snapshot (e16-0.16.8.5-0.03.tar.gz).
>
> Yup, I saw the changes go through, and have built and tested it -
> problem fixed =O)
>
>> However, I'm wondering why the problem surfaced. Is it possible that
>> your iconv cannot convert from locale encoding to WCHAR_T?
>> Could you please try e.g.
>> $ echo "ABC" |iconv -t WCHAR_T |od -t x4
>> 0000000 00000041 00000042 00000043 0000000a
>> 0000020
>
> Indeed, this seems to be the issue:
>
>      20 ]echo "ABC" | iconv -t WCHAR_T |od -t x4
>      Not supported 646 to WCHAR_T
>      0000000
>
> So, have I forgotten to install something, or is this a Solaris thing?
> This is on a freshly installed snv11_53 (Solaris Express or Nevada)
> Ultra 20.  If this is a Solaris bug, I should log it.

First, this is not really a serious issue. The conversion to/from
wchar_t only comes in play when the avalable space is too small to
contain some text string, typically when the full window title would be
wider than the window. In the left (sub)menu case "User Application
List" would be narrowed down to something like "Use...List". If the
wchar_t conversion fails e16 will fall back to trying to render the full
string which will be clipped depending on text alignment, e.g. "User Appli".

AFAIK there is no requirement that iconv supports conversion to WCHAR_T
but I think it's somewhat odd that Solaris iconv doesn't as I believe
Solaris does have mbstowcs() and friends, which do this conversion.

A simple fix that might work on Solaris (anywhere sizeof(wchar_t) is 4)
is to use "UCS4" in stead of "WCHAR_T". Could you please check if your
iconv supports that (iconv -l) and if so try and make this substitution
in lang.c and see if things work? If not, what does your "iconv -l" say?

/Kim