Hi,

Very busy right now - and not near the machine I can test this on.  But
on my Solaris laptop (running an older e16 release) I see:

        :
    UCS-2BE (UCS-2BE, UCS_2BE, UCS2BE), UCS-2LE (UCS-2LE, UCS_2LE,
UCS2LE),
    UCS-4 (UCS-4, UCS_4, UCS4), UCS-4BE (UCS-4BE, UCS_4BE, UCS4BE),
    UCS-4LE (UCS-4LE, UCS_4LE, UCS4LE), UTF-16 (UTF-16, UTF16, UTF_16),
        :

Ta,
Mark.

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 22:13 +0100, Kim Woelders wrote:
> Mark R. Bowyer wrote:
> > Kim Woelders wrote:
> >> I found a major bug in the iconv stuff which I think is fixed in the
> >> latest e16 snapshot (e16-0.16.8.5-0.03.tar.gz).
> >
> > Yup, I saw the changes go through, and have built and tested it -
> > problem fixed =O)
> >
> >> However, I'm wondering why the problem surfaced. Is it possible that
> >> your iconv cannot convert from locale encoding to WCHAR_T?
> >> Could you please try e.g.
> >> $ echo "ABC" |iconv -t WCHAR_T |od -t x4
> >> 0000000 00000041 00000042 00000043 0000000a
> >> 0000020
> >
> > Indeed, this seems to be the issue:
> >
> >      20 ]echo "ABC" | iconv -t WCHAR_T |od -t x4
> >      Not supported 646 to WCHAR_T
> >      0000000
> >
> > So, have I forgotten to install something, or is this a Solaris thing?
> > This is on a freshly installed snv11_53 (Solaris Express or Nevada)
> > Ultra 20.  If this is a Solaris bug, I should log it.
> >
> First, this is not really a serious issue. The conversion to/from
> wchar_t only comes in play when the avalable space is too small to
> contain some text string, typically when the full window title would be
> wider than the window. In the left (sub)menu case "User Application
> List" would be narrowed down to something like "Use...List". If the
> wchar_t conversion fails e16 will fall back to trying to render the full
> string which will be clipped depending on text alignment, e.g. "User Appli".
>
> AFAIK there is no requirement that iconv supports conversion to WCHAR_T
> but I think it's somewhat odd that Solaris iconv doesn't as I believe
> Solaris does have mbstowcs() and friends, which do this conversion.
>
> A simple fix that might work on Solaris (anywhere sizeof(wchar_t) is 4)
> is to use "UCS4" in stead of "WCHAR_T". Could you please check if your
> iconv supports that (iconv -l) and if so try and make this substitution
> in lang.c and see if things work? If not, what does your "iconv -l" say?
>
> /Kim

|    o o                                  Software Support Engineering,
     /v\ark R. Bowyer.                    SPARC House, Guillemont Park,
     `-'                                  Minley Rd, Blackwater,
              Tel: +44 (0)1252 420691     Camberley, SURREY, GU17 9QG
              Fax: +44 (0)1252 421658     United Kingdom            __|