On Thu, 16 Jun 2022 08:20:10 +0200 Pierre Couderc via enlightenment-users
<enlightenment-users@lists.sourceforge.net> said:

> On 6/14/22 09:52, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 23:32:00 +0200 Pierre Couderc via enlightenment-users
> > <enlightenment-users@lists.sourceforge.net> said:

> >> Strange and interesting , I add :
> >>
> >> StartupWMClass=brave-browser
> >>
> >> to brave-browser.desktop
> >>

> >> And it is better, the result depends on "Don't show active windows"
> >> parameter of the ibar:
> > it can find it then - as i said. whatever you have is a "poor install" that
> > makes it pretty impossible to match up the desktop to the window unless the
> > pid matches and i have a suspicion the pid does not match.
> >
> >> If it is checked : nothing changes, the brave icon appears but instances
> >> are not shown.
> >>
> >> If I uncheck it, a second brave icon appears, and I can hower on it...
> > this means the brave browser desktop file found is not the one that was
> > added... you have 2 of them that are different.
>
> Yes, I find 2 identical files : brave-browser.desktop and browser.desktop
>
> (not reminding having created 2 files, but.... )
>
> When I remove brave-browser.desktop, all becomes normalĀ  and the problem
> is solved !
>
> So thank you very much.
>
> Do you think that the "missing line" :
>
> StartupWMClass=brave-browser
>

> is a bug I should report to brave developpers...?

it's not a bug - but it helps. since one was browser.desktop then the base name
"browser" isn't a sensible thing to match. you probably launched the
browser.desktop copy and then e found the window matched brave-browser.desktop
through wm class - as someone decided you ca just go renaming a desktop to
browser.desktop without consequences - this had problems. so partly it's your
fault for using one of the 2 desktops (the wrong one) then expecting everything
to work right as well as someone providing the "wrong name" AND not providing a
StartupWMClass field to be explicit in which windows this desktop file would
match. the app itself (brave) is also not very helpful. the ONLY thing it
provides that might be of use is the wm class property. the netwm pid is
partly useful- unless you go wrapping things in scripts etc. which i
suspect is happening and these scripts don't use exec at the end. better apps
provide much more like _NET_STARTUP_ID which is far more accurate than any pid
property as this allows a window to be tracked back to a specific launch of
something. also providing WM_COMMAND would be helpful as then you have a
command-line to try look up a binary with that's in a .desktop file. this isn't
provided either. overall brave (and chromium) are not very helpful and provide
so little information that if something like your situation happens with
multiple desktop files of different names (one of which is poorly named
browser.desktop) and not other stuff like StartupWMClass in the desktop .. then
finding some way for a wm to go "this window is see here belongs to this
desktop file i see over there" becomes hard or impossible.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com