While running a slightly older version of EFL/E on Fedora 35, All of the application icons suddenly disappeared from ibar, task bar and menus. The Enlightenment icons were fine. Rather than mess with it, I decided to update and installed EFL 1.26.2 and E 0.25.3 (default build parameters) after clearing out /usr/local. I also deleted the .e and .elementary folders and rebuilt the configuration. Still no icons. I have a laptop with nearly identical software but it was working with the old system and works fine with the new system. It is worth noting that I update the primary system regularly but the laptop only occasionally. The laptop could have missed a buggy system update. I have not been able to discover any significant difference between the two machines. I compiled the code on both machines.

$XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons contains:

/usr/local/share/enlightenment:/usr/local/share:/home/mh/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share//icons

This appears to be the same on both machines. There are a couple of applications which do show icons and they are installed in non-standard ways. One had the icon image file in ../pixmaps instead of ../icons but I copied another icon into ../pixmaps and that did not help. The problem likely lies in the code that locates the files. I suspect that I have a corrupted library somewhere.

Does anyone who knows the code have an idea of where to look?

Is there a way to get a log that might have a useful error message?

All of the references I have been able to find have been ancient history. The last mention on this list was 2014.

--

*Michael H. Hughes*

Computer Programmer, Photographer, Woodworker, Outdoor Enthusiast

/You can always tell when a politician is lying.  His lips are moving. /- Mark Twain