On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 09:33:47AM +0100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 21:44:27 -0700 Marc MERLIN <marc_...@merlins.org> said:
>
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I have the deb package, and the screen lock never comes on unless I
> > manually tell E to lock.
> >
> > I do find screen lock settings but they don't seem to show a timeout.
>
> screen -> screen lock -> timers -> lock after blanking
>
> you can select how long after. locking is done either manually, by blanking
> (set blanking timeout as above) or a lock after suspend. there isn't a
> separate
> lock timeout on its own (no real point - auto lock when you are away and if
> you

understood, I couldn't find it, now I have, thanks.
Now it seems that my main issue is that my screen won't blank, so lock
(20 seconds later) doesn't happen either.

sauron:~$ xset q
Keyboard Control:
(...)
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  60    cycle:  0
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 11    Suspend: 12    Off: 13
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

things look good.

> bluetooth lock devices too. when that bt device goes away (can't be pinged) e
> will auto-lock if you set it as a lock devices. it's in the bt gadget popup in
> the controls per device you paired.

oh yes, that's nice. I don't have one, but could get one. Ideally this should
work
with my phone, but maybe my phone BT has too much range (charging in
another room would still keep the laptop awake)

> i removed presentation mode. there are actions now you can bind to turn
> blanking on/off (under Screen -> Blanking On/Off/Toggle). so bind some key
> combo to it. :)

Everything shows that it should blank (see screenshot) but does not.

I tried to set the timeout to 0.1m (6 sec), I can't find anywhere if E
thinks blanking is currently enabled or not (a widget or status would
help), I set CTRL+SHIFT+B to blanking on, apply, hit CTRL+SHIFT+B, wait
and nothing, no blanking, and as a result, no screen lock either.

I had synergy and killed it. I also had mplayer and killed it just in
case they were stopping X from sleeping.

What else could it be?

Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                       | PGP 7F55D5F27AAF9D08