On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 11:29:02 -0500 Conrad Knight <iestynap...@gmail.com> said:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 4:58 AM Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> > i'm wondering if this is theme related with CSD + oversized gtk windows for
> > the tooltips that render a shadow as part of the tooltip? can you change
> > gtk theme to something without shadows?
>
> I tried a few different GTK themes, but it didn't help. And it's not
> just GTK, but QT-based applications, too.
>
> This did give me an idea, though... I've made a very minor tweak
> (startup sound) to E's default theme, so tried the system version
> instead, and then two others I happened to have installed. The problem
> disappears entirely with "Dark" and "Dimensions" themes! It seems to
> be caused by the "default" theme, both the as-installed from latest
> git (via AUR) and my tweaked versions.
>
> But why is it affecting only me? Is the "default" theme picking up
> some weird efl setting i have messed up that the others aren't?

i'm using default... i don't see it. :/ perhaps its the focus rect i added ..
but i've made that ignore mouse events... so i'm not sure how it could dause it
atm.

> > so it might be that it isn't focus loss but the app gets a mouse out event
> > on its window because mouse went INTO the tooltip window which s bigger
> > than it looks?
>
> Some more experimenting: the tooltip flickering on and off (or, more
> commonly, just one on/off flicker) occurs only when any part of the
> cursor is over the tooltip. The tooltip is stable in some GTK

yes - that was my point - the mouse exits the app window and enters the tooltip
- its this mout out that makes the app hide its tooltip... but in every single
case the tooltips are rendered away from my mouse pointer - mostly below but
nowhere close enough...

> applications where the tip is rendered below the hovered item, and the
> item (e.g. button) is large enough that i can hover over the top part
> of it and have the cursor not touch the tooltip when it appears. There
> needs to be what looks like 3 or 4 pixels separation between the edge
> of the tooltip and the edge of the cursor, but i can't tell if that's
> an invisible border on the tooltip or the cursor.

there does.. but positioning of tooltips is handled by the application (or
toolkit - eg gtk) and not e. so if gtk or qt are putting tooltips where the
pointer is AND not setting the shape input region to empty (basically set a
input region to nothing so events pass through the window as if it were not
there) ... then that's the source. ive tested and events pass through such
windows with empty shape regions.

now if these tooltips are no longer override-redirect windows... then that
might be a different story... but that is not what i see from gtk, qt etc.
because if they don't use override-redirect they cant be guaranteed
positioning/sizing etc. - tiling wm's will maybe tile these tooltip windows for
example. ye olde wm's like twm might even go into manual placement mode for
them and put a placement rubber band box to place a tooltip.