On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 08:19:30 -0400 Jon Craig <craig.jo...@gmail.com> said:

> So I'm in the process of switching from Cinnamon to E, and other than a few
> font issues which I can probably figure out myself, the thing I'm having
> issues figuring out is Conky.
>
> I have 2 Conky instances I used on Cinnamon, one on my main center monitor
> that shows the usual system stats, and another on my right-hand monitor
> that shows the status of a few Docker containers.  They're transparent on
> Cinnamon.
>
> I'm wondering how I can achieve the same result under E - set one to the
> main monitor, the other to the right-side monitor, and have them both be
> transparent?
>
> I'm finding some hits on Google about Conky+E but they date to 2004 so... :D

i'm willing to bet they are NOT transparent on cinnamon. they are simply
drawing the same bg wallpapr pixmap as their window background with the correct
offset. move the conky window around and you'll probably notice a lag wher the
background redraws a little out of step to where it is. it's not using proper
ARGB transparency. using fake "copy wallpaper in" transparency. e does not and
never will support this. e doesnt have a wallpr pixmap. it's drawn in the
compositor and is not just a pixmap. it's a live canvas rendered on the fly
with whatever content is there, thus e can't just provide a bg pixmap for fake
transparency. so... figure out how to make conky do real argb ... or give up on
conky (or give up on e). real argb transparency has been possible now for a good
10-15 years.... and it doesn't have to fake it or have side-effects like the
above (fake transparency in terminals means you dont see through to other
windows- it's not transparency. it's just copying the wallpaper in)

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com