On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 13:43:38 -0700 Marc MERLIN <marc_...@merlins.org> said:

> Basically I have this problem:
> sauron:~$ xset q | tail -4
> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 300    Suspend: 360    Off: 420
>   DPMS is Enabled
>   Monitor is On
> sauron:~$ enlightenment_remote -desktop-lock
> sauron:~$ xset q | tail -4
> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 11    Suspend: 12    Off: 13
>   DPMS is Enabled
>   Monitor is On
>
> I looked in the E settings, my blanking timeout is minutes, and my
> special timeout when locked is 17 seconds
>
> I cannot find where DPMS 11, 12, 11 comes from.

e just sets those to timeout + 10, 11, 12 - so screen blanking time is 1. i
don't see this ever happen - i can't really say much. i do not know what logic
path causes this.

you should normally see:

Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  600    cycle:  0
DPMS (Display Power Management Signaling):
  Standby: 610    Suspend: 611    Off: 612
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

for example. there is a special timeout - this is used specifically when the
screen is locked and the sfreen wakes from suspend - it's a very short timeout
designed to send the screen back to blank within a very short space of time to
save power if you just bump the mouse or something while blanked and you don't
enter your password to unlock.

http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-64fda3f2774861.83178777.png

there it's set to 10 sec. 0 will turn this feature off so it'll just have the
usual blanking timeout (e.g. 10min/600sec in this case). once you unlock the
screensaver blanking time should go back to the normal amount. you may find the
screensaver timeout will be LESS because of backlight dimming. i had it off in
the above example. if i have it on and set to 5 seconds like:

http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-64fda48aa43879.64018673.png

then i see something different:

Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  5    cycle:  0
DPMS (Display Power Management Signaling):
  Standby: 610    Suspend: 611    Off: 612
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

e uses the screensaver timeout event to know when you've gone idle and then
dims the screen. it uses a process--side timer to then eventually force a blank
of the screen unless the screensaver is woken up then it resets this.

so hat screen saver timeout is set to and dpms is set to is not a simple 1:1
relationship. there are a lot of moving parts depending on all the things you
may or may not have enabled and what they are set to and depending on the
current state of things.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com