On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Brendan Eich <bren...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2011, at 9:30 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>
>> The hard cases include:
>>
>> 1. Closures.
>> 2. Proxies.
>> 3. Private names.
>> 4. Internal hidden state.
>> 5. Side-table entries mapped to the object's identity.
>
> In the case of objects implemented by C++ or whatever the host implementation
> language might be, the internal or side-table state may not even be
> representable in JS, even in strings (do not want raw pointers, or machine
> addresses however obfuscated, to leak to an attacker).

I think we are on the wrong path here. I guess we followed: a standard
extend() needs a copy-ish operation; a copyish operation is like
cloning; cloning is hard; OMG.

But let's back up. We are looking for one or a few operations such that:
   var a = op(b,c,d,...);
creates a useful result when we use |a| and we are using existing JS
libraries for guidance. By definition there are no show stoppers here.
We are creating new objects from existing objects using operations
available to JS devs, but in standard and recommended way. The only
two things can stop us from being successful: irreconcilable
differences and inertia.

jjb