On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 01:35:12PM -0800, Rob Hudson wrote:
> At work, I leave an SSH session open to my server and run Mutt off the
> server.  Recently, our worksite acquired a firewall that closes inactive
> sessions after 15 minutes.  So if I don't get mail for 15 minutes and
> don't use the terminal, it drops me.
>
> What I'd like to do is update my .muttrc file and add a clock to the
> status line.  If I 'man muttrc', it tells me I can add "%<fmt>" to my
> "index_format" line to show the current time.  Anyone familiar with
> mutt rc files?  Can I add the %<fmt> to my status_format line?  Any
> other ideas to make activity on my screen to not drop the connection?

Look at the keepalive option for ssh.  It should be enabled by default.
You may want to verify that it is working with a verbose option.

For the mutt rc files, don't look at the man page, instead look at the
manual: /usr/share/doc/mutt/manual.txt.gz

I don't see %<fmt> as an option on status_format.

Also look at a ping like utility that runs in the background.  Perhaps
something from the hping2 package to send invalid tcp/udp packets over
the tunnel (this requires making ssh a tunnel instead of a terminal).

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to your