On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 04:18:43PM -0800, Ben Barrett wrote:

>I helped a co-worker do a Knoppix install on his Dell 5100 and noticed
>that the *unstable* apt sources were in there by default.  Ack?

Yes; most everyone is using either those or testing.  I was using
stable, wherein begins a rant.

I have a Synaptics touchpad on my laptop.  I want to be able to use
the mouse either in the console or in X.  GPM, the mouse server program,
supports a repeater mode.  Unfortunately the version of GPM in debian-stable
is several revs old, and does not repeat fully the protocol for the mouse
which i have.  I tried it in raw mode, and while i could indeed mouse in X,
it did not have things like movement acceleration, so i would creep across
the desktop.  I examined the website of the GPM maintainer, and found that
the latest GPM would correctly repeat a Synaptics touchpad, and moreover
supported tuning of nice features like edge-scrolling that i never expected
to work outside of Windoze.  Having heard that a new release of Debian
was due out before 2004, i went to the website and queried the web interface
for the package information about GPM in the testing branch, which will
become the stable branch.  It was told that the version number of the GPM
in that release will be a higher one than the one in stable, but will
still not be up to the version that supports my mouse.

This event was trivial enough in itself, the more so in that i was able
to download the maintainer's tarball and build a current GPM, but it
was symptomatic of the increasingly creaky Debian release system.  It
needs to change, perhaps along the lines of Joseph's vision for the
package pools, before it becomes entirely antiquated.

--
"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare.  I came out of it dead broke,
without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of