We may have SuSE 8 box sets lying around EFN somewhere, If the laptop has DVD,
the install is real sweet... no disk change, and install just about
everything ever written for linux.

I ofcourse like Slackware, its rather spartan, runs real fast, and isnt too
hard for linux experts to install (a bit intimidating for newbies...)

If your not too interested in things being different, stick with mandrake, or
maybe try the new redhat (EWWWwwww).

Knoppix is another fine idea, get a bootable knoppix cd, and try it on your
laptop before installing it!

Jamie